When I was growing up, my mom used to put a pot of water on the stove and throw in a couple of tablespoons of mulling spices. It made the whole house smell amazing! And she didn’t just do this at holidays. It was like a fresh potpourri bowl being set out every morning and everyone who walked in the house commented on how wonderful it was.
I decided to keep the tradition going and started purchasing a mulling spice mixture from Williams-Sonoma (which you can purchase by clicking on the image on the left). However, as much as I loved the store bought blend, it was eating a whole in my book-buying budget, which is never acceptable! So, I set out to find a way to make my own version and stumbled across Heather Christo’s version that is just fabulous. I modified it a bit because I always have to put my own spin on things but I highly recommend checking out the original recipe by clicking here.
Homemade Mulling Spices
- 1 large orange, zested, peel and pith, minced
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sticks
- 1.5 tbsp whole allspice
- 1.5 tbsp whole cloves
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a good, sharp vegetable peeler, get just under the surface of the peel of an orange (if possible, use navel oranges; their thick peels make them easier to work with).
- Stack a few strings together and slice them crosswise into thin pieces. Use all of the zest, peel and pith.
- Scatter the orange pieces over the parchment paper and bake for about 30-45 minutes (or until dry).
- Place the cinnamon sticks in a Ziploc and wrap in a kitchen towel. Use a rolling pin (or other heavy object) hammer the cinnamon into small pieces (about 1 cm long).
- Mix everything together in an airtight container and enjoy! Feel free to add to a pot of simmering water on the stove or a cup of hot cider to kick things up a notch (feel free to add a splash of apple brandy to make a more adult version that is sure to be a fan favorite at holiday parties).
I purchase bulk whole spices from Amazon because I’m extra frugal these days. Click on the links below to do the same so you never have to be without these essential ingredients!