Madeleine Cake for Lemon Meringue Tarts
This is a modified version of the full Madeleine Cake recipe - specifically for the Lemon Meringue Tarts recipe.
- 47 grams All-purpose flour ¼ cup + 1½ tablespoons
- 1.5 grams baking powder ⅜ teaspoon
- 50 grams eggs 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
- 45 grams granulated sugar 3 tablespoons + 2½ teaspoons
- 28 grams glucose 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
- 19 grams unsalted butter 0.6 ounce
- 9 grams whole milk 2 teaspoons
- 19 grams fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 1uarter sheet pan with a Silpat or spray lightly with nonstick spray, line with parchment paper, and spray the parchment.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix on medium-low speed for about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium and whip for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then whip on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened but is still light and airy. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand.
- Meanwhile, place the glucose and butter in a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, and whisk to combine as they melt.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk, the pour into a bowl and let cool until just warm to the touch.
- Whisk about one-quarter of the egg mixture into the glucose mixture.
- Whisk in the lemon juice.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the remaining egg mixture in 2 additions.
- Fold in the glucose mixture one-quarter at a time, completely incorporating each addition before adding the next.
- Pour the batter in a thin layer into the prepared pan and, using an offset spatula, spread it in an even layer, making sure that it reaches into the corners.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes; the layer should not take on any color.
- Set the cake on a cooling rack and cool completely, then place the pan in the freezer until ready to use (wrap tightly in plastic wrap).
This recipe is from Bouchon Bakery page 115.