Well Fed's Best Stir-Fry Sauce Every
When I was a small-town kid, my parents would sometimes take my brother and me to a Chinese restaurant in the next town over. There were lush potted palms and a koi pond with a bridge in the middle of the restaurant. The big round table ("our table") had a Lazy Susan in the center of it for sharing dishes. The unfamiliar tastes were irresistible, and I still relish the way a particular flavor can send me on an adventure. Five-spice powder is a crucial ingredient in this sauce and instantly transports local ingredients to an exotic place.
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3 tbs coconut aminos
- 1 tsp cornstarch (not in original recipe)
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, garlic, five-spice powder, and red pepper flakes with a fork to form a smooth paste. Stirring continuously with the fork, pour in the orange juice, then add the coconut aminos. Add cornstarch to thicken.
From Well Fed (page 51)