Whole30 Ketchup - Jen's Version
I love this ketchup so very much - better than anything in the grocery store. This ketchup has a bright vinegar taste, different but still delicious. Great on hamburgers and with a side of fries!
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup non-sweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomato paste, applesauce and vinegar. Stir completely and let it come to a simmer, but do NOT allow to boil.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and cloves and cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching -you may need to turn the heat down to low or simmer here. Simmer until the ketchup has thickened enough to evenly coat the back of a spoon, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks. Recipe adapted from Whole30 Cookbook (by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig)