Asian Beef Zoodle Soup
This Whole30 take on Vietnamese pho subs in zucchini noodles for the classic rice noodles but features the same flavorful ginger-garlic beef broth and toppings - Thai basil, cilantro, sliced green onion, jalapeno, and lime wedges - so you can customize it to your taste.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion halved and thinly sliced
- 6 oz fresh shitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 5 cups beef bone broth
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 12 oz boneless beef sirloin stick thinly sliced against the grain (see Tip)
- fresh Thai basil leaves
- fresh cilantro leaves
- sliced green onion
- sliced jalapeno
- lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the simmering soup and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced steak and simmer until just cooked, 30 to 60 seconds. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the toppings of your choice.
TIP: Freeze the steak for 15 minutes for easier slicing. From The Whole30 Cookbook by Melissa Hartwig (page 30)